Sunday 12 October 2014

The Beginning of a Journey

This is not a 'normal' travel blog. I am no globe-trotter with insights into the realm of high-class tourism. I have no knowledge of the best routes for a backpacking pilgrimage, and nor will I be able to recount any grand escapades that I've had abroad - for I have had very few of my own. Instead it is here that I desire to introduce you, my dear readers, to a world of depth, emotion, beauty, and excitement: the world of history and literature. 

"Books...blah! History...boring!"

But wait! I would encourage you to give this a chance. The poet Dr. Seuss wrote that,
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
Books are like windows. They give us a chance to live outside of ourselves; to see the world through other people's eyes, unrestricted by place or time. They bestow upon us fresh perspectives, often shining light into our own thoughts and actions. 
But then you may consider: Is this true of all books? The answer, sadly, is no. Not all books are worth pouring our precious time and thoughts into, and neither are they healthy for our minds or souls. As Philippians 4:8 says:

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things" (NIV).
and

"I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless" (Psalm 101:31, ESV).
 We must have wisdom as we consider what we read just as we might look at the rating and content of a movie, or read the lyrics of a particular song. When we read, we have the opportunity to dig beyond the surface, to ask questions, and to be contemplative. 
Have you ever considered what makes a book "good"? Is it the fact that its popular, filled with action, or makes us laugh...or is there something more? 

But I'm getting ahead of myself... :)

Just as reading fills my soul, learning about history is (at least for me) like an invigorating search for buried treasure. We often get discouraged and dissuaded from pursuing history in school because of monotone teachers and an excessive amount of facts and dates, but the past is more than that! Its a story about people written by a Sovereign God. And guess what? Each of us gets to play a part in that story!

Life is a great and profound journey filled with craggy mountains, valleys of sorrow, refreshing streams, and meadows of repose and joy. Isn't it encouraging to know that we are not alone; that others have traveled this road before us (Hebrews 12:1), and that we have the opportunity to learn about them through the archives of history, or to befriend them through the pages of fiction?

So I invite you to join me, not as a tourist with the eyes of one who sees simply what he wants to see, but as a traveler who truly sees and experiences every aspect of the world around him. I promise you that you will not be disappointed. It is an enriching journey filled with unending adventure!

This is how I hope to orchestrate my posts each month:

  • First three weeks - simple poems, short videos, quotes, thoughts, etc.
  • Fourth week - A review of a book I've read.  
Note (May 4, 2015) - Its quite evident that I have not been keeping to this schedule. The expectations I had for myself were a little too grandiose (at this time in my life its quite impossible for me to blog every week), but  I will continue to write when I can - hopefully once a month. There is so much I wish to share with you, my dear readers!

I am far from being an expert on these topics, I simply have a passion for them and a desire to share my discoveries with you as I make my way along the road.  So if you decide to join me, think of me only as...

Your fellow traveling companion,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment