Monday 24 July 2017

21 Things .18

A Common Thread


You may have noticed a common thread weaving its way through many of my 21 Things posts. It wasn't intentional, but the majority of my musings relate to literature or art in some way. They reveal what speaks to me, and most importantly how God speaks to me. Books certainly don't replace the revelation of His Word, but Jesus demonstrates that it is in God's character to interact uniquely with each individual, especially since he is the one who created us to be unique. Think of how different the people were who encountered Jesus, like Zacchaeus, the Samaritan woman at the well, or the disciples. John, known as "the disciple whom Jesus loved (John 19:26)" was given special insight into the depth of that love, while Peter's impetuosity and fear was met by Jesus' firm but tender question: "do you love me?" (John 21:16). They had unique gifts and struggles yet Jesus was speaking to both of them, equipping them for the tasks ahead.

~
Eric Liddell, the 1924 Olympic gold medalist said: "God made me fast. And when I run, I feel his pleasure." 
Well, I feel God's pleasure when I read (and dance! - but that's a topic for another day).

I've always enjoyed reading, but I've struggled lately to reconcile it as a skill. 
When I was younger I could measure my reading abilities by the expectations of the school system. Reading a book for ages 12-14 when I was 9 gave me confidence. It was always the content of the book that was of most importance, but reading something bigger or unique for my age instigated enjoyable conversations with friends and strangers alike. Yet now that I'm older, books are not measured by their level, only by their genre, and sitting in a public place with a book in hand doesn't draw conversation. I miss that.
There are countless stories that have shaped the landscape of my mind, but the more that I read, the more I realize how little I've read and how little I know, and how little I'll ever know.

It reminds me of a statement made in Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury:
"The first thing you learn in life is you're a fool. The last thing you learn in life is you're the same fool." 

Reading teaches critical thinking and empathy, but unlike painting or playing an instrument or a sport, they are skills not easily visible. Despite this, I will continue to read, to learn and to listen.

Its comforting to know that God uses fools :)
~
We all have skills that bring us joy and satisfaction, drawing us to look beyond ourselves. 
What makes you feel God's pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment