Wednesday 7 June 2017

21 Things .03

Hidden Lives

One of my favourite movies is Hugo directed by Martin Scorsese which follows the life of an orphan boy in Paris 1931, his work in the train station as the keeper of the clocks, and his encounters with a young girl and her seclusive grandfather. What I find most intriguing about this film is that its based off of true events. There is something delightful about the colour and magic mingled with the ordinary!

At its core Hugo is a story about a man and a boy who think they've been forgotten by the world. Its a masterful tribute to the artistry of early film and the hidden lives of those who created them.
When I reflect on how many other lives have and are being lived unnoticed, I'm overwhelmed (working in a museum makes me very aware of them). Everyone has a story to tell, but 
"Full many a flow'r is born to blush unseen."
Its comforting to know that God plants each flower with tender purpose.
~
I'm a lover of old films, especially the pioneering silent film era! It was actually The Invention of Hugo Cabret (the book that inspired the movie) that introduced me to Harold Lloyd, a brilliant silent film actor who has remained hidden, unfortunately, in Charlie Chaplin's shadow. 
Not long after discovering Harold's films I came down with a terrible cold and consoled myself by watching a bunch of them (thank goodness for youtube!). 

If you have any suggestions for good old movies, whether from the silent or dancing, musical eras, let me know :)  

1 comment:

  1. Hugo is one of my favourite movies too!! It is so rich in bringing to life the ordinary and making it extraordinary. Thank you for opening up my eyes to the wonders of the older films. Love seeing the world through your eyes! ❤

    ReplyDelete