Friday 9 June 2017

21 Things .04

The Surprises of General Studies

When people (acquaintances and strangers in particular) ask me what I'm taking at college and I say General Studies, the responses are varied. Either my pronouncement instigates a lively discussion or abruptly ends the conversation as quickly as its begun. "Oh" they say with a hint of uncertainty as if they don't know what to ask next. General Studies are so, well, general.
And I don't blame them. Even I have uncertainty, not because I'm concerned what others will think of my education choice but because I'm not sure what I think... What am I really doing? A year into my studies and I feel further from knowing what degree and career I'd like to pursue.

Yet "General" has some exciting surprises hidden up its sleeve. Take Psychology for example. 
I would never have ventured from Humanities if I'd had the choice, but two courses later, Psychology is one of my favourite subjects.
Even if I never pursue it further, I've learned invaluable things about myself (there's so many "aha" moments - oh that's why I do that!). If anything, Psychology reveals just how beautifully complex the human brain has been designed!
For example, did you know, that after being imprisoned for seven years during China's Cultural Revolution, pianist Liu Chi Kung went immediately back on tour. When asked how he had kept up his skill without a piano he replied, "I did practice every day. I rehearsed every piece I had ever played, note by note, in my mind" (Myers & Dewall).

Psychology has also taught me that labels are powerful things.
Recognizing thought patterns and their roots is half the battle and used properly they can equip us to understand ourselves.
But labels can also be used to negatively define ourselves and others, becoming the controlling factor; the focus instead of the person. 

Knowing that I'm a first-born child and more of an introvert equips me to respond to and embrace my personality, but it also reveals what I can work on and helps me see beyond myself.  Yet "introvert" remains a man-made category and doesn't have to define me.

I've only skimmed the surface of this fascinating and pioneering subject... who knows what the future holds!

References:
Myers, D. G. & Dewall C. N. (2015). Psychology. New York: Worth Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment