Tuesday 20 June 2017

21 Things .11

Feeling the Rhythm

This summer I've invested in a punch card for Zumba classes at my local rec centre and am enjoying every minute of it! 
Zumba is a rather new phenomena in the world of aerobics, inspired by Latin American dances like salsa, flamenco and tango, along with a mix of hip hop and 1920's Charleston.  Unlike other forms of exercise that feel like exercise, dancing allows me to sink into the rhythm and add my own flair, while enjoying the company of others in an energetic atmosphere. Despite often being the youngest, I find it encouraging that people of all ages are learning (or keeping up their) dancing skills.

We live in such a reserved and individualistic culture and though not everyone is invigorated by the freedom of dancing as I am (frustration, indifference, or embarrassment might be words that are coming to mind), I think we can learn so much from countries in which dance plays an integral role in relating to one other. Whether dancing solo, in couples, or groups, dance can break barriers, build confidence, and offer refreshment.

I began dancing at a young age, taking ballet classes and having spontaneous dance parties in the living room, and in the past few years I've begun swing and ballroom dancing. My hope to do more of this in the future, but in the meantime I'll dance Zumba to my heart's content! Wherever or whatever I do, I will always be dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment