Wednesday 28 June 2017

21 Things .13

Living in the Moment

As an assistant at a local museum I'm expected to execute a myriad of tasks whether that be assisting with administration, setting up for events, researching, helping with exhibits, answering visitors questions, or organizing. Yesterday I painted an old, worn easel a fresh coat of black. As I prepared the brushes and the area outside for my project in the heat of midday, my mind was free to wander, but even so I found myself focused comfortably on the task at hand. I was taking in the feel of the paint, the thickness of the brush, and even the ants scurrying at my feet, attracted by the sticky sweetness. I realized how little I usually attend to these details. Usually my thoughts are rushing ahead, but in that moment I was absolutely content to live in the moment. 
My black easel cannot compare to God's creation of the world but I felt so accomplished with my project and I knew this simple joy came from doing what He intended me to do: work and create. I've learned that work is not a curse. Adam and Eve were given the task of tending the garden before sin entered the world. Still, only in heaven will we be equipped to work at our fullest potential. 
In the meantime we sweat, put in the hours necessary to pay the bills, and find joy in the menial. Although I can't say I know what its like to do a "hard day's work" of say, farm work,  I couldn't help but reflect on the many Proverbs that concern work and planning as I painted. Here are a few of them:

"He who gathers in summer is a prudent son..." 10:5

"Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits will have plenty of poverty." 28:19

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand" 19:21

No comments:

Post a Comment